If you live where the temperature reaches the freezing point on occasion, you should buy and install a Frost free hydrant, that protects your pipe from freezing and bursting. Frost free hydrants also come with an option to have an integrated vacuum breaker, which the plumbing code requires now.
Tools And Materials You May Require
- Spade bits
- Soldering equipment (If copper pipes)
- Glue and primer (If PVC pipes)
- Female adapter (The size of the hose bibb)
- Teflon tape
- Tee fitting
- 90 degree elbows
- Caulk gun
- Pipe hangers
- Measuring tape
- Hammer drill/ masonry bit
Placement Of The Hose Bibb
The location of your hose bibb will require a little planning and measuring before you start drilling holes in your siding. The best place to install a hose bibb is in the joist space just above the foundation wall.
- Measure from a spot you can find both inside and outside, like a window frame or the foundation wall.
- Try to choose a spot that has close access to a cold water line.
- When your sure that you've located the spot for the hose bibb, you will need to use a drill and a spade bit(just a little bigger than the hose bibb's barrel) for wood framing and plastic siding. For brick and mortar construction use a hammer drill and a long masonry bit.
- Place the frost free hose bibb through the wall. If your hose bibb came with a plastic spacer, place if behind the plate of the hose bibb.
- The barrel of the hose bibb must have a slight downward angle toward the faucet so the water can drain out when it gets shut off.
- Fill the hole around the barrel of the hose bibb with silicone caulk and secure the hose bibb in place with galvanized screws(wood) or concrete screws(masonry).
Connecting The Water Supply
The type of water supply piping your home uses will determine the fittings and pipe to use for the connection.
Place teflon tape over the threads on the end of the hose bibb and tighten down the female adapter using two wrenches.
- Shut of the water to the pipe your planning to tie into and drain the line.
- Connect to the cold water supply pipe using various fittings and secure the pipe to the walls using pipe hangers.
- Test for leaks